SUMMER FARM INTERN PROGRAM
We are seeking farming interns for the 2022 Summer season!
Our farm internship program is designed for people interested in gaining experience working on a medium scale organic farm, learning about local sustainable agriculture. During the 12-week summer farm internship, interns will be engaged in farming tasks including planting, harvesting, weeding, trellising, and irrigation. Candidates must be comfortable working on their feet doing physical work for long periods of time. We do not require interns to have any previous farming experience; as an education center we are excited to share our knowledge about farming and provide our interns with a fulfilling experience that will be useful to them regardless of future career path. Comfort with being outdoors and physically active is encouraged.
In this internship, we anticipate our interns will come to appreciate:
- the work involved in producing sustainable local food
- how sustainable agricultural practices support environmentally sound land stewardship
- the social/community-building value of CSA farming
About our internship:
- Interns should have housing in our area and reliable transportation to and from the farm;
- Hours will vary: Interns will work Monday-Friday most weeks and Tuesday- Saturday (half day on Saturday) every 4th week.
- Interns are expected to work 40 hours a week for 12 weeks; start/end date depends on individual schedule, usually in the May-September window.
- Interns receive a total stipend of $3,500 for the summer internship
- Interns must be physically able to lift 30 pounds, walk and bend over for extended periods of time, and able to work under adverse conditions such as rain, heat, humidity and cold.
- Must pass a criminal background check and child abuse clearance.
WHAT MAKES OUR PROGRAM UNIQUE?
Pennypack Farm is a non-profit, community centered organization focused on making connections. We have a robust community of people on the farm regularly. Our volunteer and workshare members are an integral part of the farm’s operation and the farm staff works closely with them on a regular basis. We have 30 workshares in the summer that help us harvest for CSA over the course of each week, and we also host our CSA members as they volunteer their time fulfilling their required hours of service. In addition, many corporate groups come to the farm for service days. The welcoming nature of the farm supports a network of people that work together to fulfill our mission.
We believe that soil health is the foundation of regenerative agriculture and our soil health program involves detailed soil fertility practices and innovative cover cropping practices in all four seasons. Apprentices will work closely with the farm managers to learn about and facilitate soil health on the farm.
Our efforts on the farm every day directly impact our neighbors. In our CSA we provide sustainable locally grown produce to 400 families during the summer and 180 families in the winter. We also donate produce to our food pantry partners on a weekly basis. We partner with other local community organizations to widen our reach and work towards food accessibility in our area.
The readings, seminars, and discussions in our apprentice curriculum are designed to dig deeper into the “whys” and “hows” of what we do on the farm. These provide apprentices with knowledge of the behind-the-scenes workings of the farm ecosystem, understanding all the parts of our growing plans. Working with us during the 20 month apprenticeship you will gain insight into growing throughout both the summer and winter months. Apprentices are also encouraged to attend conferences such as the one held be PASA every February.
Learning in a Supported Environment
With the support of our successful systems and guidance from staff, apprentices practice problem solving, management, and responsibility in a supportive environment. They are encouraged to take on leadership roles to develop management skills and are supported in cultivating an understanding of big picture goals on the farm.
GET IN TOUCH
Ask a quick question and we’ll get back to you within 24-48 business hours